Below you will find a list of on going skills that children can practise whilst at home. Following each skill, you will find some activity ideas and online resources for the children to use.
Basic Number Skills
- By the end of Year 1, children need to be fluent in their number bonds to 10 and 20. This means they need to be able to confidently recall which numbers add together to make each number.
Hit the button is a brilliant resource to help children develop this skill. Children in Year 1 will benefit from practising the following skills:
- Number bonds - Up to 10 (Make 10, Addition Within 10, Missing Numbers (+ and -)
- Number bonds - Up to 20 (Make 20, Addition Within 20, Subtraction within 20, U+U+U)
- Doubles - to 10, from 5-15, from 10-20.
- Halves - to 10, from 5-15, from 10-20.
It is really important that all children continue to read every day. Oxford Owl has a wonderful selection of ebooks for the children to read from home. Please use the following log in details to access them.
It is good for children to practise reading the 'speed sounds' daily at home. The 'Phonics Speed Sounds' document below contains a table that children use in school to practise reading each of the sounds they have learnt in Read Write Inc.
There are also two documents containing lists of words for the children to practise reading.
Red Words - These are words that children CAN NOT sound out, and just need to learn to recognise.
Green Words - These are words that children should be able to sound out using the phonics sounds they have learnt in Read Write Inc (on the speed sounds chart).
The documents below are additional resources for you to use to support your child in reading.