Screen-Free Friday - Shapes and Spaces.
Wrap up and go for a walk nearby - look at the buildings around you. What shapes can you see in the houses, office blocks, roofs and doorways? How are the buildings decorated? Which is your favourite shaped building - tall and thin like a tower block or small and low like a bungalow?
If you're walking in the countryside, can you find a view point and look down on the town and find shapes below?
In the garden - give each side of the garden a shape name and ask someone to call out the shapes for you to run to. Can you move in zigzag lines or make triangle shapes with your body?
A ball is a 3D shape called a sphere - Can you roll a ball along the floor? Can you throw it in the air and catch it 10 times? How high can you throw a ball and catch it?
Can you make a 'Shape' dance?
Shapes are all around us - can you find items in your house that are different shapes e.g. a photo or the side of a cereal box are both rectangular, a 2p or a bottle top is circular. Can you make a tally chart to find out which shape is the most common?
Choose one or two of these creative ideas using shapes to make houses:
1. Cut out shapes to make a picture of a house.
2. Draw a picture of a tall tower.
3. Make a house or castle out of Lego.
4. Make the tallest tower you can out of blocks.
5. Build a house from Meccano (or similar).
6. Design a house that you would like to live in - Where would it be?
7. Make a fairy house or garden.
8. Complete a jigsaw.
Find a quiet place to read your favourite book for 15 minutes.